Friday, January 13, 2012

2011 NFL Playoffs: Divisional Weekend Cheat Sheet

Wow, could I have been more off on my predictions last weekend? Yikes. Ended up going 1-3. Here's hoping this weekend fares a bit better.

Again, you will not have a break from football on Saturday. Like last week, you'll have the two matchups late afternoon Saturday, followed by the mid/late-afternoon matchups on Sunday. Here goes nothing...

Saturday, January 14, 4:30 pm EST
New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers
Well this matchup pits my one winning pick last week versus a surprising team this season. With a new coach in Jim Harbaugh, the 49ers were not thought to be a team to make the playoffs, much less take the #2 seed. But Harbaugh has instilled a winning philosophy into his team. Honey badger don't care. This is a toughie, though...man, I really just don't know who to pick, AND I like both teams, so I can't even go with a bias here...you've got a powerful offense in the Saints and a very stingy and aggressive defense in the 49ers...I mean...this could go either way.

Prediction? Saints 28, 49ers, 27...yes...or it could go the other way around...

Saturday, January 14, 8 pm EST
Denver Broncos @ New England Patriots
Well ain't this a surprise! No Pittsburgh? Tebow prevailed last week in overtime, which, unless you live under a rock (in which case, how did you get here?), I do not need to explain the outcome. Tebow faces a bigger challenge this week...no, not the Pats' defense (no one is scared of that), but the Pats' offense. Again, unless you live under a rock, you should know who Tom Brady is. A master picker-aparter of defenses. Broncos boast a solid one. I just think their magic may run out this time. Sorry, Willis McGahee, you know I still like you.

Prediction? Patriots 30, Broncos 21...wish I could say it was closer...

Sunday, January 15, 1 pm EST
Houston Texans @ Baltimore Ravens
OK, if you know me well, you'll know I have major stake in this game. I mean c'mon, Lauren "Purple Friday." So I'll be at this game...meaning the Ravens will win...ha but seriously, I'm a little nervous. Though the Texans are on the third string quarterback, he's proved to be a decent game manager, and the last time we beat the Texans, they were without Andre Johnson (though they did have Matt Schaub). That game was close and it was in Baltimore. In the end, I believe it'll come down to who has the better quarterback...and in this case, that will be Joe Flacco.


Prediction? Ravens 24, Texans 20...yup, a close one...

Sunday, January 15, 4:30 pm EST
New York Giants @ Green Bay Packers
Like Texans-Ravens, this is another rematch of a close game. Not too long ago, the Giants were nearly the first team to end the Packers' unbeaten streak. But, as is usually the case, Aaron Rodgers prevailed. This one should be pretty close itself, with both teams seeking some sort of "revenge." The Giants on their loss aforementioned, and the Packers on the NFC championship loss back in 2008 (the year the G-men would go on to win the Superbowl). In the end, I predict a possible overtime victory...

Prediction? Packers 32, Giants, 29...random score, yes.

So let's see if I can go better than 1-3 this weekend...and if I have to go 1-3, you know which game I want to be right about!

Happy Purple Friday!
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Well at least 2-2 is better than 1-3! :)

    For next week I'm predicting:

    49ers (bc if its the Giants I'm not watching the Superbowl)
    Ravens (duh!)

    for another HARBOWL!

    ReplyDelete